in Bucks County, PA, and Hunterdon County, NJ
What is Otoplasty?
Otoplasty, ear reshaping surgery, is a cosmetic procedure that changes the proportion, size and position of the ears. For many patients, especially teenagers and children, otoplasty can help to improve their self-esteem. The results of the procedure depend on the changes being made. Ear pinning is performed to position the ears closer to the head. For patients who have ears that are positioned differently, ear repositioning creates symmetry. Oversized ears can be addressed during an individual procedure, or at the same time as other ear issues that need to be corrected.
When to Consider Ear Surgery
- If your ears prominently stick out from your head, you may want to undergo otoplasty.
- If you suffered an injury that affected the shape or positioning of your ears.
- If you have ears that are oversized or too small.
- If your ears are oddly placed or not in proportion to the rest of your head.
Related Procedures to Otoplasty
Many people who undergo otoplasty also consider rhinoplasty (nose surgery).
Benefits of Otoplasty
- The results of an otoplasty last a lifetime.
- The surgery poses minimal risks and can be performed on children as young as five.
- It improves the proportion and shape of your ears.
Am I a Good Candidate For Ear Surgery?
Here are some of the reasons you may want to consider an otoplasty:
- You may want to reduce the prominence of your ears by having a setback otoplasty. This procedure can also be performed on children.
- A good candidate's ears will also need to have reached their full-size. Typically, the ears stop growing around age six. Most patients who receive an otoplasty are children.
The Otoplasty Procedure
During the procedure, Dr. Buinewicz will make small incisions in the folds of the skin behind the ears, allowing him to access the cartilage through the incision. He then removes small amounts of cartilage through the incision. The remaining cartilage is molded into a normal ear position and shape. After the ears are corrected, Dr. Buinewicz closes the incision with sutures and uses a bandage to cover the ears.
After the surgery, your ears will be bandaged in a head wrap for one week. The wrap keeps the ears in the desired position while protecting them. Once the wrap is removed, Dr. Buinewicz will require you to wear a sweatband. The sweatband keeps the ears in the desired position for two weeks.
How Much Does Otoplasty Cost?
Because an otoplasty is a customized, surgical procedure, the cost is different for each patient. Buinewicz Plastic Surgery offers financing to help patients cover any of the costs. We also accept credit cards, cash, and personal checks.
If you or your child are dissatisfied about your misshapen or out-of-proportion ears, contact us to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brian R. Buinewicz. Buinewicz Plastic Surgery is located in Flemington, NJ, and Doylestown, PA and offers otoplasty surgery. We also provide a variety of plastic surgery services for adults and children who reside in Hunterdon County, PA and Bucks County, PA.