in Bucks County, PA, and Hunterdon County, NJ
What is a Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is plastic surgery performed on the nose to fix a wide array of cosmetic issues, including:
- Changing the size of the nose.
- Eliminating a bony ridge on the nose.
- Changing the contours of the tip of the nose.
- Thinning or expanding the nasal bridge.
- Reducing or enlarging the flare of the nostrils.
- Changing the angle between the nose and upper lip.
Not all rhinoplasty procedures are strictly cosmetic. They often address medical issues by correcting birth defects, injuries or situations, such as a deviated septum, which can make breathing difficult.
View a selection of real patient results in our Rhinoplasty Before and After gallery.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty
There is a reason that rhinoplasty is one of the most popular surgeries in the world. This procedure can improve your quality of life by making it easier for you to breath or helping you feel better about the way you look. It has a proven track record of being safe and effective, and it can be performed on children as well as adults.
Is Rhinoplasty Right for Me?
To qualify as a candidate for this procedure, you must be in overall good health and be interested in addressing at least one of the following issues:
- Changing the size of your nose or nostrils to achieve balance with your other facial features.
- Restructuring the bridge of your nose if it looks too wide, is crooked or has a bump on it.
- Returning your nose to its natural state after an injury.
- Fixing a congenital issue, such as a deviated septum in order to allow better breathing.
- Correcting the bad results of a previous rhinoplasty.
Rhinoplasty Surgery – Available Techniques
Your face is unique, and for that reason, rhinoplasty should be a very personalized procedure. It can’t be conducted as a one-size-fits-all type of treatment. Just as there are several shapes of noses, there are several different ways for a qualified surgeon to approach rhinoplasty and which approach our doctor chooses should be concluded after looking at several factors. In your first appointment at Buinewicz Plastic Surgery, Dr. Buinewicz will take a look at your nose shape, listen to your goals and then work with you to develop a treatment plan that will achieve your results in a way that will make you comfortable. Some of the procedures he might recommend include:
- Open rhinoplasty – This is the most performed type of rhinoplasty. In an open rhinoplasty, incisions are placed on both the outside and inside of the nose. The skin of the nose is raised, and the structure of the nose can then be altered. Often, extra skin, cartilage or tissue are removed. Tissue grafts can be used internally to support the newly structured nose. When Dr. Buinewicz performs an open rhinoplasty, it gives him total access to the interior structure of the patient's nose, which makes this procedure much easier to perform.
- Closed rhinoplasty – When you have a closed rhinoplasty, the doctor doesn’t have to make incisions on the outside of the nose. This allows all of the incisions required for the surgery to be hidden in the nasal cavity. While this means less visible scarring, it must be noted that this technique gives the surgeon less direct access to the treatment area. This results in a less definite approach and, of course, that makes the finished product more difficult to predict ahead of time. Dr. Buinewicz is an expert at closed rhinoplasty, pleasing patients with natural looking results with little to no scarring. He can perform a closed rhinoplasty that will give you the same recovery time as an open rhinoplasty.
As soon as you leave surgery, you will need to spend the next 24 hours with your head elevated. This will minimize swelling. It is important to keep still. You may experience a bit of discomfort, so physical activity should be limited. Over the 10 days that follow your surgery, your swelling will increase before it subsides. Any other symptoms you experience should take care of themselves in time, and your stitches may dissolve on their own. Two weeks after the surgery, you are permitted to do nonstrenuous workout activities. You can also cover any lingering discoloration with make up at this time. Dr. Buinewicz suggests that patients start back at a normal exercise and activity routine after several weeks when most of your swelling has dissipated.
How Much Does Rhinoplasty Cost?
Due to the fact that cosmetic plastic surgery is such a customized experience, it is impossible to list prices for rhinoplasty. This cost will vary between patients. Buinewicz Plastic Surgery offers financing options. We can work with you on a payment plan that suits your budget, and we accept cash, check, and credit card.
If you or one of your children is unhappy with the shape of your nose or if you are having breathing issues because your nasal passageways are obstructed, please contact us to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brian R. Buinewicz. With offices located in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, and Flemington, New Jersey, we are happy to serve adults and children in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, and Bucks County, Pennsylvania.